Family, friends call for peace after shooting death of 19-year-old in Evanston
December 1, 2012 (EVANSTON, Ill.) -- Family and friends are calling for peace after the shooting death of a 19-year-old man in Evanston, Ill.
Justin Murray, a 2011 Evanston High School graduate, was fatally shot Thursday night as he stood with friends on the 1800-block of Brown Avenue. That's when shots were fired from a nearby gangway.
Murray, who had been living in San Diego since August, had arrived in Chicago the same day he was killed.
The shooting happened just blocks from the home of his mother-- who was in the middle of organizing a gun buyback program when her son was shot.
"It's hard to be on this side. I wish this on no one," said Carolyn Murray, mother.
On Saturday, Murray and the community came together to march the streets of Evanston.
"We're not going to sit around. We're going to start working with families, with our kids. We're going to rebuild communities on a full time basis," said Justin Blake, community activist.
Oliver Ruff, a retired elementary school principal, says he's lost almost a dozen students over the years.
"To see them lying in a coffin after you have tried to give them a foundation is heart rendering," said Ruff.
"This is affecting everybody. Make this stop," said Mandy Eason, Evanston resident.
Organizers of Saturday's rally hope it will leave a positive impact on the community. Meanwhile, Evanston's gun buyback program is scheduled to take place December 15th.
Evanston police say no arrests have been made in Murray's murder.
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire 53 min ago
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn 47 min ago
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction 40 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park