Elderly man killed in West Garfield Park home fire
December 2, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- A fire in the city's West Garfield Park neighborhood claimed the life of a man Sunday morning.
The fire started around 11 a.m. at a house on the 4000-block of West Van Buren Street, according to police.
A patron at a nearby church first alerted authorities about the blaze and crews found a 76-year old man in the home.
The man was taken to Mount Sinai hospital in critical condition and later pronounced dead.
Fire Department officials said the home had no smoke detectors.
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos