Elderly man killed in West Garfield Park home fire
December 2, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- A fire in the city's West Garfield Park neighborhood claimed the life of a man Sunday morning.
The fire started around 11 a.m. at a house on the 4000-block of West Van Buren Street, according to police.
A patron at a nearby church first alerted authorities about the blaze and crews found a 76-year old man in the home.
The man was taken to Mount Sinai hospital in critical condition and later pronounced dead.
Fire Department officials said the home had no smoke detectors.
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall