Rutherford asks supporters to weigh in on possible gubernatorial bid
December 2, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- Republican State Treasurer Dan Rutherford is inching closer to a run for governor.
He asked his supporters to back him for a possible race for governor in 2014 on his website and social media pages Sunday.
"Now is the time for leaders to act with conviction and courage," he wrote on his site. "Through wise stewardship, we can eliminate our massive debt, fund our liabilities, build an environment that job-creators are seeking and provide financial security for taxpayers. Illinois is indeed broke-but our great state is not beyond repair."
Rutherford said the support he gets will help him evaluate whether or not to run.
If there is a formal announcement, it is likely to come in late January 2013, he said.
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Much Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half Marathon 4 min ago
- Suspect tries to abduct 11-year old boy in Queens 44 min ago
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014