William Beavers intends to testify at tax evasion trial
December 3, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- Cook County Commissioner William Beavers says he intends to testify at his federal tax evasion trial.
"I've been willing to take it the whole time. I want to let the people know exactly what's happening," Beavers said.
His comments came Monday, the first day of jury selection for the trial.
Beavers is accused of using thousands of dollars of campaign funds for personal use.
Prosecutors say Beavers failed to report some income on his tax returns.
The 77-year old Beavers says he is being targeted by the government because he refused to wear a wire as part of an investigation of fellow commissioner John Daley.
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 56 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 38 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
38 min ago