William Beavers intends to testify at tax evasion trial
December 3, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- Cook County Commissioner William Beavers says he intends to testify at his federal tax evasion trial.
"I've been willing to take it the whole time. I want to let the people know exactly what's happening," Beavers said.
His comments came Monday, the first day of jury selection for the trial.
Beavers is accused of using thousands of dollars of campaign funds for personal use.
Prosecutors say Beavers failed to report some income on his tax returns.
The 77-year old Beavers says he is being targeted by the government because he refused to wear a wire as part of an investigation of fellow commissioner John Daley.
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday 2 min ago
- 7 On Your Side gets back $1-million dollars in 2013
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Christie appointee resigns amid probe 21 min ago
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email 59 min ago
- NY lawmakers to announce legislation preventing bridge tolls
- Mayor-elect de Blasio to visit White House
- Mega Millions rises to $425M for Friday drawing 26 min ago
- Budget bill heads to the Senate
- Secret Sales: Dark Chocolate Espresso Beans and Photo Books
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday
2 min ago