William Beavers intends to testify at tax evasion trial
December 3, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- Cook County Commissioner William Beavers says he intends to testify at his federal tax evasion trial.
"I've been willing to take it the whole time. I want to let the people know exactly what's happening," Beavers said.
His comments came Monday, the first day of jury selection for the trial.
Beavers is accused of using thousands of dollars of campaign funds for personal use.
Prosecutors say Beavers failed to report some income on his tax returns.
The 77-year old Beavers says he is being targeted by the government because he refused to wear a wire as part of an investigation of fellow commissioner John Daley.
- Guinness to drop sponsorship of NYC St. Patrick's Day Parade 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some 48 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt 54 min ago
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims 56 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA men's basketball tournament 40 min ago
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown 51 min ago
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after...
51 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
48 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos