Chicago temps feel like Spring in December
December 3, 2012 (OAK BROOK, Ill.) -- The calendar says December, but the thermometer reads like it's another time of year.
Normally this time of year we are talking about the possibility of snow. But, Monday morning, the Chicago area is seeing temperatures in the 60s.
Unless you're in the business of selling parkas and long johns, economists say, a few weeks of warm weather in the weeks leading up to Christmas can actually give the overall U.S. economy a real boost. That is a trend they're seeing at the Oakbrook Center, the western suburbs' biggest outdoor shopping center.
It was a busy weekend at Oakbrook Center. Snow, ice and bitter cold tend to keep shoppers at home, but with temperatures forecast well into the 60s Monday, people can shop leisurely.
Oakbrook Center spokesperson Suzanne Beres says traffic at the mall has doubled.
"The traffic has been very positive during this warm spell that we're currently going through," said Beres. "We're seeing strong sales from our retailers. The consumers are very positive going into this holiday season."
"[The weather] puts me in a great mood, but it doesn't feel like Christmas," said Chicago resident Jennifer Alvarez.
"Christmas shopping with no coat? It's not bad," said Lombard resident Mike Karl.
Getting around early Monday morning was tough. A thick blanket of fog reduced visibility to just a few car lengths at times all over the Chicago area.
ABC7 meteorologist Tracy Butler predicted temperatures Monday could climb as high as 68 degrees, just shy of the December 2 record of 71 degrees.
local, phil schwarz
- Woman dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC boutique
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated
- MTA launches new apps for LIRR, Metro-North riders 54 min ago
- New York Army cadet accused of emailing child porn
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident