Chicago temps feel like Spring in December
December 3, 2012 (OAK BROOK, Ill.) -- The calendar says December, but the thermometer reads like it's another time of year.
Normally this time of year we are talking about the possibility of snow. But, Monday morning, the Chicago area is seeing temperatures in the 60s.
Unless you're in the business of selling parkas and long johns, economists say, a few weeks of warm weather in the weeks leading up to Christmas can actually give the overall U.S. economy a real boost. That is a trend they're seeing at the Oakbrook Center, the western suburbs' biggest outdoor shopping center.
It was a busy weekend at Oakbrook Center. Snow, ice and bitter cold tend to keep shoppers at home, but with temperatures forecast well into the 60s Monday, people can shop leisurely.
Oakbrook Center spokesperson Suzanne Beres says traffic at the mall has doubled.
"The traffic has been very positive during this warm spell that we're currently going through," said Beres. "We're seeing strong sales from our retailers. The consumers are very positive going into this holiday season."
"[The weather] puts me in a great mood, but it doesn't feel like Christmas," said Chicago resident Jennifer Alvarez.
"Christmas shopping with no coat? It's not bad," said Lombard resident Mike Karl.
Getting around early Monday morning was tough. A thick blanket of fog reduced visibility to just a few car lengths at times all over the Chicago area.
ABC7 meteorologist Tracy Butler predicted temperatures Monday could climb as high as 68 degrees, just shy of the December 2 record of 71 degrees.
local, phil schwarz
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital 5 min ago
- 4 dead, 280 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 4 min ago
- Bronx sweep nets suspected gang members
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View" 24 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent...
5 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos