Man holds assault suspect until cops arrive
December 9, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- A 32-year-old man has been charged following an early Sunday morning robbery and sexual assault, and another man came to the rescue of the woman being attacked to hold the suspect until police arrived.
A Good Samaritan held him until officers arrived at the scene early Sunday morning in the 4400 block of North Sheridan.
An Uptown neighborhood man is being hailed as a hero after hearing a woman scream for help and then coming to her aid.
Police took the suspect into custody Sunday and now say that 32-year-old Jason Gurneau has been charged in connection with the crime.
A tired but alert Tom Schabow tells how he saved a woman from a vicious attacker and then detained the man until police arrived.
"I just reacted. I heard a woman yelling for help and there really wasn't anything else to do," Schabow said.
It happen around 1:30 a.m. Sunday in Chicago's Uptown neighborhood after the Good Samaritan left work, returning to the apartment he's called home for the last five years.
"He was trying to rape and possibly murder this woman," Schabow said.
Investigators say the 32-year-old woman was trying to open the security gate to her apartment building when she was beaten and sexually assaulted by a man passing by her on a bike.
Schabow dialed 911 as he rushed to the aid of a female neighbor he'd never seen before.
"The guy tried taking off on his bike and he was coming in my direction and I just took him down," he said.
The victim was taken to an area hospital in stable condition with injuries to her head and neck.
Some expressed concern about the attack including an area man who didn't give his name.
"I didn't see it hear any of this. That's a surprise because I live right here," said neighborhood resident Brittany Glenn.
Sunday afternoon, the 32-year restaurant worker originally from the northwestern suburbs, remains uncomfortable with any praise but says he would do it again.
"Unfortunately, so many people don't help in this neighborhood and don't help in this world. There needs to be more people that stand up and help people," he said.
Chicago Police Department said that the woman who was attacked remains in stable condition.
They also have yet to outline the charges against the suspect.
- Off-duty NYPD officer stabbed in neck in Brooklyn 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Cops suspended, they say for serving in military 8 min ago
- Subway service impacted after officer injured in Brooklyn
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged 10 min ago
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class 56 min ago
- Volunteers give Vietnam Vet special holiday gift 45 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos