New American Girl Doll unveiled
January 1, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- A lot of young girls and their parents visited downtown Chicago Tuesday for the unveiling of the newest American Girl Doll.
They lined up early to get their hands on Saige.
With dolls in hand, excited young girls waited in line for the latest and greatest American Girl Doll.
"She is really pretty, she is like, unique, and she has a good personality," said Anna Duque.
And when the doors opened the rush was on, all for Saige Copeland, American Girl Doll of the year.
"I love watching the excited faces of the girls, there are families here who have made it a tradition and have made it here every year to see us on January first to see the girl of the year," said Adrienne Clarke, American Girl Place.
It's an escape from reality for these girls, and parents say that's what brings them back each year.
"Other kids are so into electronics, I think that dolls are still a good way for them to keep their imagination and to remain girls," said Josefa Villarrubia.
And it gives parents a chance to have some quality time with their girls.
"Both my daughters love the dolls, so it's an opportunity to have time with them," said Crystal Cox.
The day includes art lessons from Art Institute instructors because art and horses are a big part of Saige's story and this way, young girls can bond with the dolls.
"Her story is all about the arts and how she turns her passion for the arts into action for community," Clarke said.
The artist's workshops will be available for the girls through Saturday.
local, diane pathieu
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death 33 min ago
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Barrios-Paoli tapped to head health and human services
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Budget vote approved in the House
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
- Charges expected in fraternity death
33 min ago