1st marriage license of 2013 issued Wednesday
January 2, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- It's been a tradition since 1991: Couples wait for hours to be the first married couple of the New Year by Cook County Clerk David Orr.
This year's first couple, Steven Pyo and Angela McKinney, had yet to share the news with their families before getting hitched.
Pyo and McKinney have been dating for a few years, and this past November, he surprised her with a proposal.
"We went to the signature room for Angela's birthday," said Pyo.
Wednesday morning, they decided, Why wait?
"We wanted to start off the New Year in a special way," Pyo said.
The couple lined up at 6:30 a.m., and when the office opened, they applied for a license. The standard 24-hour waiting period was waived, and they agreed to be married on the spot, and in just minutes they were declared husband and wife.
A 22-year tradition in Cook County, the first couple even got some goodies: a weekend getaway at the Palmer House Hilton, two theater tickets and dinner for two.
Now, they just have to share the big news it with their family!
"We wanted to surprise some of them, so we'll be telling them today," said Pyo. "They'll see it on the news. They'll be surprised."
The couple says they will eventually find time to take a honeymoon.
local, diane pathieu
- Hazmat respond to Carteret freight train derailment 53 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fast food workers strike to demand higher wages 57 min ago
- Bill de Blasio to make big announcement Thursday 21 min ago
- Springsteen's 'Born to Run' manuscript at NY auction 39 min ago
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Hazmat respond to Carteret freight train...
53 min ago
- Fast food workers strike to demand higher...
57 min ago