NIU Huskies get warm welcome back to DeKalb
January 2, 2013 (DEKALB, Ill.) -- Despite their loss in the Orange Bowl, Northern Illinois University's football team got a big welcome home Wednesday.
Naysayers said the team didn't belong in the Orange Bowl but NIU did give Florida State a game before losing 31-10 Tuesday night.
Players and staff got a warm welcome back to DeKalb, which they said was a repeat of what they found in Florida.
"It's kind of great to get all the fans down there and I think they were louder than Florida State at times and it meant a lot to us traveling all that way," quarterback Jordan Lynch said.
"Despite the score it's a once in a lifetime experience and I know personally with the band the kids were so excited to be there," drum major Zach Smith said.
It was the first trip to the Bowl Championship Series for the Mid-American Conference Champions.
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- $590M Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida 57 min ago
- Three males wounded after shooting in Bedford-Stuyvesant
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- Official: Broken rail eyed in Metro North crash
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Pacers knock out Knicks with win in Game 6
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers