NIU Huskies get warm welcome back to DeKalb
January 2, 2013 (DEKALB, Ill.) -- Despite their loss in the Orange Bowl, Northern Illinois University's football team got a big welcome home Wednesday.
Naysayers said the team didn't belong in the Orange Bowl but NIU did give Florida State a game before losing 31-10 Tuesday night.
Players and staff got a warm welcome back to DeKalb, which they said was a repeat of what they found in Florida.
"It's kind of great to get all the fans down there and I think they were louder than Florida State at times and it meant a lot to us traveling all that way," quarterback Jordan Lynch said.
"Despite the score it's a once in a lifetime experience and I know personally with the band the kids were so excited to be there," drum major Zach Smith said.
It was the first trip to the Bowl Championship Series for the Mid-American Conference Champions.
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death 24 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says 31 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos