Candidates file to run for Jackson Jr. seat
January 3, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- Several candidates filed petitions to run for Jesse Jackson Jr.'s vacated 2nd District congressional seat within the morning possible Thursday.Chicago Alderman Anthony Beale, of Chicago; Clifford Eagleton, of Harvey; former State Representative Robin Kelly, of Matteson; State Representative Toi Hutchinson, of Olympia Fields; Victor Jonathan (formerly Victor Onafuye), of Country Club Hills; and former Northwestern University football star Napoleon Harris, of Flossmoor, all filed to run for the seat.
Convicted former 2nd District congressman Mel Reynolds also filed to run during the 9 a.m. hour for his old seat.
Democratic State Sen. Donne Trotter chose not to run after he was arrested Dec. 5 when security screeners at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport found an unloaded .25-caliber Beretta handgun and ammunition in his garment bag.
Jackson's brother, Jonathan Jackson, has also said he will not run.
Former Congresswoman Debbie Halvorson has also expressed interest in the seat.
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
50 min ago