Father of kids burned in Lawndale fire dies; mother killed in blaze set on purpose
January 3, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- Details emerge in the deadly fire that happened in Chicago's Lawndale neighborhood.
Police say that 29-year-old Nathaniel Beller set the fire early Saturday morning. He died from injuries related to the fire.
His 4-year-old child also died after the home was set on fire. A 9-year-old child is still in critical condition.
The children's mother, Taniya Johnson, was killed in the blaze.
New details in the investigation reveal that Beller was released without charges three months before the incident- after he filled his bathtub with gasoline and threatened to burn his children.
According to the Chicago Sun-Times, Beller was freed after a psychiatric evaluation at that time.
Investigators said Beller hadn't been charged before he died.
Two middle-aged and elderly women were also hospitalized in fair-to-serious condition.
- Snow changes to rain and ice, causing slick roads 34 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto 16 min ago
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- Princeton to begin meningitis B vaccinations Monday
- New Jersey black bear hunt set for Monday 14 min ago
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- Paul Walker memorial draws thousands in California
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Snow changes to rain and ice, causing slick...
34 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos