South Shore Drill Team to march in inaugural parade; young Chicagoans headed to D.C.
January 16, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- Some lucky young people from the South Shore Drill Team, along with 17 instructors, will be performing in the 57th Inaugural Parade next week.
- STORY: Chicago musicians headed to DC for inauguration
- VIDEO: Presidential inauguration rehearsal
- PHOTOS: Items from the Obama inaugural committee's online store
The 54 drill team members leave on Friday to Washington, D.C., and ABC7's Theresa Gutierrez has their story.
The drill team was unable to attend President Barack Obama's first inauguration because of lack of funds. This time they were able to raise the money to attend.
"We are very excited. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity," said drill team instructor William Miller.
Jeffrey Lovette has been with the drill team for 13 years. The drill team performs at more than 120 parades and special events each year.
"My grandmother told me, if Obama became president the team would be performing. It is a dream come true," said Lovette.
"This is very important, the president representing our hometown. I am very excited to do this," said drill team instructor Christopher Cotton.
Another group from Chicago attending the inauguration is Walt Whitman and the Soul Children of Chicago. They will be performing Saturday during the kids' inaugural concert.
Seventeen 7th and 8th grade students from Alcott College Prep on the North Side will also be going to D.C. to experience the inauguration.
Alcott teacher Jenny Vincent has been teaching the students all about the electoral process and learning about the Constitution.
"President Obama is our president. He is from Chicago. In their lifetime, they will probably never be able to experience something like this," said Vincent.
"It is very exciting, and I cannot wait," said student Caroline Adams. "It probably is never going to happen again."
ABC7's Cheryl Burton, Charles Thomas and Jason Knowles will all be in Washington, D.C. to cover the inauguration. Their live reports begin Sunday morning on ABC7.
local, theresa gutierrez
- Off-duty NYPD officer stabbed in neck in Brooklyn 36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Cops suspended, they say for serving in military
- Subway service impacted after officer injured in Brooklyn
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Volunteers give Vietnam Vet special holiday gift
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos