Melrose Park mother fatally shot in her garage
January 16, 2013 -- A west suburban mother was found shot to death inside the garage of her home.
Maricela Vera, 41, was killed Tuesday night in Melrose Park.
Concerned neighbors are waiting for answers from police on the investigation.
Vera's family members gathered at the Melrose Park home she shared with her husband and children.
They did not want to talk about what happened to Vera.
Vera died just before 8 p.m. after being shot, according to police. Family members found her unresponsive in the garage, authorities said.
Neighbor Cathy Acevedo said she thought something was wrong on the block when she got home from work around 6 p.m. and saw several police cars.
It wasn't until Wednesday morning when Acevedo found out what happened.
"It's so sad," Acevedo said. "I feel so sorry."
Residents can only speculate about what happened. They discussed rumors that the deadly shooting followed a robbery.
Police are still investigating and are not releasing any details.
In the meantime people in the neighborhood said they will pay closer attention to their safety.
"Nobody's safe," Rev. Anthony Simmons said.
local, karen jordan
- Off-duty NYPD officer stabbed in neck in Brooklyn 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Cops suspended, they say for serving in military 16 min ago
- Subway service impacted after officer injured in Brooklyn
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged 18 min ago
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Volunteers give Vietnam Vet special holiday gift 53 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos