3 Schaumburg police officers arrested on drug charges
January 16, 2013 (SCHAUMBURG, Ill.) -- Three Schaumburg police officers were arrested by federal agents Wednesday on drug charges.
A team of federal drug agents assembled from across the country executed 20 search warrants Wednesday in Schaumburg and three police officers from the suburb were taken into custody, law enforcement sources say.
The Schaumburg policemen were all assigned to the narcotics unit and were under investigation for selling drugs.
They had a wide range of experience on the job, ranging from five to 23 years with the department.
But rather than getting drugs and dealers off the street, the officers were allegedly doing their own dealing.
Village officials declined to talk about the arrests on camera but they acknowledged the investigation in a statement.
"The Village of Schaumburg this evening placed three Schaumburg police officers on administrative leave pending the outcome of a criminal investigation being carried out by the DuPage County State's Attorney's Office," officials said in the statement.
The department has also launched its own internal investigation, according to the statement.
The officers are due in court Thursday.
local, john garcia
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea 10 min ago
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 2 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
2 min ago