Celebration for landing of Dreamliner plane at O'Hare canceled
January 16, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- The Federal Aviation Administration grounded Boeing's new Dreamliner 787 plane due to safety concerns Wednesday.
Chicago's O'Hare International Airport felt the impact of the decision.
For LOT Polish Airlines, Wednesday evening was supposed to be the Boeing Dreamliners' coming out party at O'Hare.
"The event tonight has been cancelled," LOT's Frank Joost said. "We would not feel it's appropriate."
Today, an ANA flight made an emergency landing in Japan when someone smelled smoke in the aircraft.
Last week, a Japan Air flight made an emergency landing in Boston.
The FAA grounded U.S. Dreamliner flights saying it was necessary to study the "battery fire risk and said that flights wouldn't resume until the "batteries are safe and in compliance."
"Unfortunately, this is no longer just a few glitches. This is a pattern that people are concerned about," DePaul University Transportation Professor Joe Schwieterman said.
For Polish dignitaries invited to the O'Hare party, it was a letdown.
"It would have been nice to see the plane," the Vice President of the National Polish Alliance Paul Odrobina said.
"This year was the 40th anniversary of the first flights between Warsaw and Chicago," the Director of Polish Museum of America Jan Lorys said. "I'm disappointed but I guess I understand."
LOT Polish Airlines' Dreamliner arrived in Chicago from Warsaw Wednesday.
"The flight was smooth and perfect. The plane flies great," passenger Konrad Biedron said. "The whole flight was awesome. I'm really surprised."
Wednesday night's return flight to Warsaw was cancelled.
"This is the only flight we have scheduled, so yes, we are not flying the plane at this point," Joost said.
"I'm glad they actually made it because safety always comes first," a passenger on the canceled flight Kamil Styla said.
boeing 787 dreamliner, local, stacey baca
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway 20 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time 4 min ago
- Malaysian plane mystery continues 3 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video 1 min ago
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store 20 min ago
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
20 min ago
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
1 min ago