Warning about the dangers of metal hip implants
January 17, 2013 -- All metal hip implants have become a major cause of concern following several safety issues, user complaints and even recalls.
The federal government warned consumers Thursday that the metal on the implants can cause soft tissue damage, pain and in the long run, lead to further surgery to replace the implant.
The FDA said all metal implants can shed metal where two components connect.
That metal will cause wear and tear of the implant and can damage bone and soft tissue that's surrounding the implant.
Officials advise consumers to talk to your doctor about the risks and possible alternatives.
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide 37 min ago