Warning about the dangers of metal hip implants
January 17, 2013 -- All metal hip implants have become a major cause of concern following several safety issues, user complaints and even recalls.
The federal government warned consumers Thursday that the metal on the implants can cause soft tissue damage, pain and in the long run, lead to further surgery to replace the implant.
The FDA said all metal implants can shed metal where two components connect.
That metal will cause wear and tear of the implant and can damage bone and soft tissue that's surrounding the implant.
Officials advise consumers to talk to your doctor about the risks and possible alternatives.
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly found 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 4 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly...
7 min ago