Warning about the dangers of metal hip implants
January 17, 2013 -- All metal hip implants have become a major cause of concern following several safety issues, user complaints and even recalls.
The federal government warned consumers Thursday that the metal on the implants can cause soft tissue damage, pain and in the long run, lead to further surgery to replace the implant.
The FDA said all metal implants can shed metal where two components connect.
That metal will cause wear and tear of the implant and can damage bone and soft tissue that's surrounding the implant.
Officials advise consumers to talk to your doctor about the risks and possible alternatives.
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 5 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 18 min ago
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets 16 min ago
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
5 min ago