Boxing initiative hopes to get Chicago kids inside police gyms
January 17, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- The Illinois State Crime Commission will offer a new boxing initiative for Chicago children thanks in part to the daughter of Muhammad Ali.
Rasheda Ali also heads The Police Athletic League of Illinois. She says the joint effort between her organization and the crime commission will give kids a chance to apply themselves in the ring at police gyms around the city as a way to steer clear of potential violence on the street. </p
"If I can save at least one child from being gunned down in front of their houses - then the work we're doing here today will be worth it," Rasheda Ali, daughter of Muhammad Ali, said.
Rasheda Ali also wished her father a happy birthday. The champ turns 71 today.
- South Plainfield High School on lockdown 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Queens third grader fatally struck by truck 12 min ago
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire 46 min ago
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt 20 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- LI nativity theft being investagated as hate crime
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while schools in session
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300
- Photos: Staten Island quintuplets through the years
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3...
20 min ago