Boxing initiative hopes to get Chicago kids inside police gyms
January 17, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- The Illinois State Crime Commission will offer a new boxing initiative for Chicago children thanks in part to the daughter of Muhammad Ali.
Rasheda Ali also heads The Police Athletic League of Illinois. She says the joint effort between her organization and the crime commission will give kids a chance to apply themselves in the ring at police gyms around the city as a way to steer clear of potential violence on the street. </p
"If I can save at least one child from being gunned down in front of their houses - then the work we're doing here today will be worth it," Rasheda Ali, daughter of Muhammad Ali, said.
Rasheda Ali also wished her father a happy birthday. The champ turns 71 today.
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma tornado
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Two more possible bias attacks investigated in New York City
- Accident involving fire truck at accident-prone corner
- Suspected robbery ends with car chase
- Connecticut rail service to return to normal Wednesday
- The return of the Green Card Scammer
- Rangers lose 2-1 to Bruins, now 0-3 in series
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos