Boxing initiative hopes to get Chicago kids inside police gyms
January 17, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- The Illinois State Crime Commission will offer a new boxing initiative for Chicago children thanks in part to the daughter of Muhammad Ali.
Rasheda Ali also heads The Police Athletic League of Illinois. She says the joint effort between her organization and the crime commission will give kids a chance to apply themselves in the ring at police gyms around the city as a way to steer clear of potential violence on the street. </p
"If I can save at least one child from being gunned down in front of their houses - then the work we're doing here today will be worth it," Rasheda Ali, daughter of Muhammad Ali, said.
Rasheda Ali also wished her father a happy birthday. The champ turns 71 today.
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97