7 Things to know: Home preps during cold weather
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Here are 7 things to knows about how to prepare your home during cold weather.
1) Fit exposed pipes with insulation sleeves or wrapping to slow heat transfer.
2) Seal cracks and holes in outside walls and foundations near water pipes with caulking.
3) Keep cabinet doors open to allow warm air to circulate around pipes.
4) Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets connected to pipes that run through an unheated or unprotected space.
5) Maintain a 36-inch clearance between the heater and combustible materials, such as bedding, furniture, wall coverings or other flammable items.
6) Do not leave a heater unattended.
7) Regular cleaning will keep the fireplace free of obstructions and creosote. If you haven't had maintenance performed recently, use caution when operating the fireplace and never leave it unattended.
(Source: LINK: http://www.disastersafety.org
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
Facebook | Twitter | Newsletters | Text Alerts
cold weather, winter, local news
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination 29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap 4 min ago
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- LI hospital warns of possible blood...
29 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos