7 Things to know: Home preps during cold weather
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Here are 7 things to knows about how to prepare your home during cold weather.
1) Fit exposed pipes with insulation sleeves or wrapping to slow heat transfer.
2) Seal cracks and holes in outside walls and foundations near water pipes with caulking.
3) Keep cabinet doors open to allow warm air to circulate around pipes.
4) Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets connected to pipes that run through an unheated or unprotected space.
5) Maintain a 36-inch clearance between the heater and combustible materials, such as bedding, furniture, wall coverings or other flammable items.
6) Do not leave a heater unattended.
7) Regular cleaning will keep the fireplace free of obstructions and creosote. If you haven't had maintenance performed recently, use caution when operating the fireplace and never leave it unattended.
(Source: LINK: http://www.disastersafety.org
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
Facebook | Twitter | Newsletters | Text Alerts
cold weather, winter, local news
- JFK baggage handlers charged with theft 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Mount Vernon responds to racist tweets by Mahopac players 6 min ago
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Arrests in counterfeit health and beauty products case 10 min ago
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Lonely Michigan boy gets GMA surprise party
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay 17 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos