Homeless count underway in Chicago
January 22, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- The homeless count started in Chicago Tuesday.
Hundreds of volunteers are involved in the effort that's conducted every two years.
Organizers said this is one of the best times to get an accurate count of the homeless because the cold attracts many to the city's shelters.
They also count people outside.
The final numbers help determine federal funding for the city's programs to help the homeless.
- House fire in New Brunswick 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar 31 min ago
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Baby it's cold outside! 32 min ago
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen