Homeless count underway in Chicago
January 22, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- The homeless count started in Chicago Tuesday.
Hundreds of volunteers are involved in the effort that's conducted every two years.
Organizers said this is one of the best times to get an accurate count of the homeless because the cold attracts many to the city's shelters.
They also count people outside.
The final numbers help determine federal funding for the city's programs to help the homeless.
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster 52 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins 9 min ago
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports 6 min ago
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew...
6 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
52 min ago