7 Things to know: Keeping pets safe in cold weather
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Here are some tips to keep your pets warm and safe during the cold weather.
1) Keep your dog on a leash (especially when it snows)
2) Don't shave your pet down to the skin in winter
3) Completely dry off your pet when bathing before walking in the cold
4) Never leave your pet alone in the car in cold (and hot) conditions
5) Make sure your pet has a warm place to sleep off the floor and away from drafts
6) Does your dog spend a lot of time engaged in outdoor activities? Increase his supply of food, particularly protein, to keep him, and his fur, in tip-top shape.
7) Like coolant, antifreeze is a lethal poison for dogs and cats. Be sure to thoroughly clean up any spills from your vehicle
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold 42 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children 24 min ago
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 23 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 58 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
42 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos