7 Things to know: Keeping pets safe in cold weather
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Here are some tips to keep your pets warm and safe during the cold weather.
1) Keep your dog on a leash (especially when it snows)
2) Don't shave your pet down to the skin in winter
3) Completely dry off your pet when bathing before walking in the cold
4) Never leave your pet alone in the car in cold (and hot) conditions
5) Make sure your pet has a warm place to sleep off the floor and away from drafts
6) Does your dog spend a lot of time engaged in outdoor activities? Increase his supply of food, particularly protein, to keep him, and his fur, in tip-top shape.
7) Like coolant, antifreeze is a lethal poison for dogs and cats. Be sure to thoroughly clean up any spills from your vehicle
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
- Newark bus crash leaves 9 hurt, 1 critically 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway