Father delivers baby in traffic jam
January 23, 2013 (CICERO, Ill.) -- Hector Morales was in a hurry to get to the hospital. A traffic jam held him up - but not his baby boy.
Morales and his fiancee, Kathryn Engel, were headed to West Suburban Hospital when they hit a traffic jam near Roosevelt and Laramie, the scene of a fatal car crash. Engel's labor progressed quickly.
"Katie was having strong contractions. . . [She] said, 'I'm not going to make it. Pull over right here,'" Morales said.
Morales pulled over at a gas station, and with the help of a 911 dispatcher, delivered his son.
"I kept him on the line to kind of get his information and update the paramedics as they were en route. And I told him, 'You know what, I have officers at Laramie and Roosevelt--just go straight there,'" Macario Rodriguez, Cicero 911 dispatcher, said.
Aidan was born in just minutes.
"I was impressed with how well composed he was. He did a fine job," Larry Polk, Cicero police, said.
Engel and her son were transported to the hospital, where both are doing fine.
Aidan was born around 8 a.m.; the car crash and fire was reported at 5:45 a.m.
"It saddened us to just find out of the terrible accident that took place hours before, our condolences to the families," Morales said.
A 19-year-old woman died and two people were injured in that crash. They remain hospitalized.
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to be laid to rest
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman 39 min ago
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns 23 min ago
- $270 million up for grabs in Friday Mega Millions drawing 5 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos