Diner shooting kills 2, wounds 1
January 26, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- Chicago police are investigating a shooting that left two people dead and one critically injured outside a 24-hour diner Saturday.
Police remained on the scene of the deadly shooting in the 500-block of West Pershing for hours after gunfire erupted at approximately 4 a.m.
It happened outside Kevin's Hamburger Heaven. A witness says the diner was full of people when somebody wearing a mask approached the restaurant and opened fire out of nowhere.
One victim has been identified as Allen Smiley, 45.
"It's the wrong place, wrong time, and it's senseless," said friend Lamar Baker. "I was just with them. I mean we were celebrating, dancing, doing all type of things. Now he's gone. I can't believe it... Next thing you know, boom, boom, boom. I looked up, and two were on the ground."
The name of the second victim has not been released. A third man was shot in the arm and abdomen, but survived.
local, diane pathieu
- 2 killed in Queens motorcycle accident 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 57 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
57 min ago