Diner shooting kills 2, wounds 1
January 26, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- Chicago police are investigating a shooting that left two people dead and one critically injured outside a 24-hour diner Saturday.
Police remained on the scene of the deadly shooting in the 500-block of West Pershing for hours after gunfire erupted at approximately 4 a.m.
It happened outside Kevin's Hamburger Heaven. A witness says the diner was full of people when somebody wearing a mask approached the restaurant and opened fire out of nowhere.
One victim has been identified as Allen Smiley, 45.
"It's the wrong place, wrong time, and it's senseless," said friend Lamar Baker. "I was just with them. I mean we were celebrating, dancing, doing all type of things. Now he's gone. I can't believe it... Next thing you know, boom, boom, boom. I looked up, and two were on the ground."
The name of the second victim has not been released. A third man was shot in the arm and abdomen, but survived.
local, diane pathieu
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014