Chicago cops say 574 illegal guns seized this month
January 28, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- The Chicago Police Department showed off another batch of illegal weapons that it has seized.
Chicago police say they've recovered 574 weapons so far this year and 124 just in the past week.
Deputy Commissioner Al Wysingers says that's more than three times as many weapons seized in either New York or Los Angeles -- the only American cities larger than Chicago.
Supt. Garry McCarthy is in Washington Monday meeting with the president about ways to reduce gun violence.
Last week, Chicago Police announced the recovery of 15 firearms in one operation alone, which also netted more than 70 arrests, seven vehicles, and 50-plus pounds of cannabis and other drugs.
Calumet District tactical officers responding to a call of shots fired on the 9700-block of S. Woodlawn Saturday led to a five illegal firearms, including one rifle and four handguns.
On Friday, Calumet District officers say they also arrested and charged a convicted felon with multiple gun- and drug-related offenses and seized a semi-automatic handgun with an extended magazine holding live rounds and a semi-automatic Uzi-style handgun that also had an extended magazine with live rounds inside.
In 2012, the Chicago Police Department seized more than 7,400 guns, including more than 300 assault weapons.
- AccuWeather: Snow, ice and rain for Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email
- Mega Millions hits $400M for Friday drawing
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees