Girl stops car from crashing into tree after mom suffers hypoglycemia
January 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- A young girl is being called a hero for saving her mother and herself.
Alex Sheridan's mother experienced hypoglycemia while behind the wheel of her car. They were driving home from a basketball game a week ago. The 9-year-old sprang into action.
"I'm a diabetic, I've been a diabetic for 37 years," Jennifer Sheridan said.
Living with diabetes for years, Jennifer Sheridan said she knows how to keep her blood sugar in check. But she didn't know her blood sugar was low last Friday when she and her daughter Alex planned to stop for food close to their New Lenox home on the way back from her nephew's basketball game.
"I don't even remember passing our house, and we ended up about 35 minutes away from our house. The next thing I knew I woke up in an ambulance," Jennifer Sheridan said.
She started driving erratically, Alex said she knew something was wrong with her mom.
"Just sweating, dripping sweat," Alex said.
Jennifer Sheridan's sugar levels dropped dramatically. Alex's father called to check on their whereabouts, Crying and screaming, Alex told him what was happening.
Then her mom swerved off the road near Laraway and Center in Frankfort, and Alex acted fast.
"I turned off the key because we were about to hit a tree and kept my hand it on because I didn't want her to turn it back on and try to get out," Alex said.
The car stopped before hitting the tree.
"You're stunned, you feel guilty because she was in charge and she's 9," Jennifer Sheridan said.
Police and emergency crews responded and called Alex a hero. She got a day off school Friday and a day shopping with her parents.
"In the ER room I promised her she could get an American Girl doll as kind of a reward, but also as a thank you," Jennifer Sheridan said.
On Monday, Jennifer Sheridan says she began using an insulin pump to help control her blood sugar, and hopefully, she says, this will never happen again.
local, diane pathieu
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 57 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville 31 min ago
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field 42 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos