7 Things to know: When searching for Unclaimed Funds
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Here are 7 tips to be aware of while looking for unclaimed funds.
1. NEVER pay to find unclaimed funds. NEVER. There are fee-based databases on the web. There is no reason to use them when you can easily do the same work on FREE online databases: NY: https://ouf.osc.state.ny.us/ouf/, NJ: http://www.unclaimedproperty.nj.gov/, Conn: http://www.ctbiglist.com/
2. Search your own name and, if applicable, search your maiden name(s).
3. Start the search by inputting your last name, with only your first initial. Your first name might spelled incorrectly or differently.
4. Search the database for relatives or friends, alive or dead.
5. Gather documentation (social security number(s) of the person, proof of former addresses, or copies of wills or trust documents).
6. If you've lived in other states, go on: www.unclaimed.org to find if you have money there.
7. Input and search businesses you or your family members may have been affiliated with.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
unclaimed money, local news
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 58 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
58 min ago