7 Things to know: When searching for Unclaimed Funds
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Here are 7 tips to be aware of while looking for unclaimed funds.
1. NEVER pay to find unclaimed funds. NEVER. There are fee-based databases on the web. There is no reason to use them when you can easily do the same work on FREE online databases: NY: https://ouf.osc.state.ny.us/ouf/, NJ: http://www.unclaimedproperty.nj.gov/, Conn: http://www.ctbiglist.com/
2. Search your own name and, if applicable, search your maiden name(s).
3. Start the search by inputting your last name, with only your first initial. Your first name might spelled incorrectly or differently.
4. Search the database for relatives or friends, alive or dead.
5. Gather documentation (social security number(s) of the person, proof of former addresses, or copies of wills or trust documents).
6. If you've lived in other states, go on: www.unclaimed.org to find if you have money there.
7. Input and search businesses you or your family members may have been affiliated with.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
unclaimed money, local news
- AccuWeather Alert: Flash flood warning for NYC 28 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area 8 min ago
- Suspect in custody in Queens bus shooting 23 min ago
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy 18 min ago
- Students injured in Brooklyn pepper spray incident 29 min ago
- Threat prompts lockdown at Saddle Brook schools
- UK: London terror attack suspects had been probed
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem Thursday
- Queens businessman kidnapped and tortured
- Photos: Top Pictures of the Week
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a super secret sale
- AccuWeather Alert: Flash flood warning for...
28 min ago