Woman shot to death, van crashes on LSD at I-55
February 1, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- Emergency crews responded to calls of a woman fatally shot at the southbound Lake Shore Drive ramp to the Stevenson early Friday morning.
The ramp that winds around McCormick Place was closed during morning rush hour while authorities conducted an investigation. It was unknown when it would reopen.
Responding to a call of a car crash around 4:20 a.m., police found a 32-year-old Michelle Smith shot inside a van in the southbound lanes of Lake Shore Drive near I-55. She was pronounced dead on the scene.
Police say 10-14 bullets were fired into the vehicle from a full-sized brown van that pulled alongside the victim's vehicle. Police are talking to an unarmed female passenger who was in the van.A 37-year-old passenger was taken into custody and interviewed by police.
Authorities said that this was a drug and gang related incident and while the shooter or shooters remain at large, the public is not in danger.
Smith's car was registered to a boarded up home in the Back of the Yards neighborhood, where the bridge across the street marks a significant boundary between gangs.
Smith had a relationship with a high-ranking gang member, Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said on WLS AM's Roe and Roeper Show.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
local, ravi baichwal
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week 42 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Liam Neeson to tour stables amid carriage horse debate
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite 53 min ago
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Rangers top Red Wings 3-0 in Lundqvist's 300th win
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
42 min ago