Woman shot to death, van crashes on LSD at I-55
February 1, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- Emergency crews responded to calls of a woman fatally shot at the southbound Lake Shore Drive ramp to the Stevenson early Friday morning.
The ramp that winds around McCormick Place was closed during morning rush hour while authorities conducted an investigation. It was unknown when it would reopen.
Responding to a call of a car crash around 4:20 a.m., police found a 32-year-old Michelle Smith shot inside a van in the southbound lanes of Lake Shore Drive near I-55. She was pronounced dead on the scene.
Police say 10-14 bullets were fired into the vehicle from a full-sized brown van that pulled alongside the victim's vehicle. Police are talking to an unarmed female passenger who was in the van.A 37-year-old passenger was taken into custody and interviewed by police.
Authorities said that this was a drug and gang related incident and while the shooter or shooters remain at large, the public is not in danger.
Smith's car was registered to a boarded up home in the Back of the Yards neighborhood, where the bridge across the street marks a significant boundary between gangs.
Smith had a relationship with a high-ranking gang member, Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said on WLS AM's Roe and Roeper Show.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
local, ravi baichwal
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster 17 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
17 min ago