Mayor: Gun offenders should serve 85 percent of sentence
February 11, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel said Monday that all gun offenders should serve 85 percent of their sentence.
He said it's too easy for offenders to get out early. Truth in sentencing is "Not allowing those individuals back on the streets to become either victims or perpetrators again," Mayor Emanuel said.
He believes the stricter sentencing enforcement would act as a deterrent to criminals.
"You have to hit all the keys on the keyboard. It's not just policing, it's not just summer jobs, it's not just criminal background checks. . . it's all of that and more."
The mayor also wants to increase penalties for gun crimes.
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says 41 min ago
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos