7 Things to know about Pope Francis
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Here's a list of 7 things to know about Pope Francis, the newly elected pontiff.
1) Pope Francis, 76-year-old Jorge Bergoglio, is the first Jesuit pope.
2) He is the first pope from Latin America.
3) He had a lung removed due to infection when he was a teenager.
4) He is known for modernizing an Argentine church that had been among the most conservative in Latin America.
5) He's never lived in the ornate church mansion in Buenos Aires. He lived in a small downtown room heated by a small stove.
6) He preferred to take public transportation in Argentina.
7) He couldn't stop the legalization of gay marriage, or the promotion of free contraception and artificial insemination in Argentina.
papal conclave, pope francis, local news
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Water line floods three Midtown building basements
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos