CPS school closings support plans in place, CEO says
March 20, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- The head of Chicago Public Schools says the district will soon release a list of schools recommended for closure.
In a statement issued earlier Wednesday night, CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett said, "the district must consolidate... to get students into higher performing schools."
The Chicago Sun-Times reports CPS plans to close more than 50 elementary schools to trim a 400 million dollar budget deficit.
A spokesperson for the district says 50 is not the correct number.
- Jersey City water main break affecting service 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming 19 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 32 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 30 min ago
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions 29 min ago
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest 30 min ago
- Video: Queens robber squirts clerk with lighter fluid
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
30 min ago
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega...
29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup...
19 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos