9 sick tourists at O'Hare gate hospitalized
March 26, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- Nine passengers at O'Hare International Airport were taken to area hospitals late Monday after they began feeling sick, authorities said.
Emergency officials called five ambulances to the airport about 11 p.m. after a group of people at a gate about to board a Scandanavian Airlines flight reported feeling ill, some with nausea.
Paramedics took six people to Our Lady of the Resurrection Medical Center, and one person to Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge. Later, two additional people were also transported to area hospitals, fire media said. Seven were treated and released from Resurrection.
The passengers were part of a tour group at O'Hare on the way back to Copenhagen, Denmark. The group was on a bus tour before arriving at the airport.
The approximately 40 people that did not get sick were kept at a hotel as a precaution and the group, which had been on a 10-day bus tour, did not leave on the flight. The cause of the illness is under investigation.
"You really need to get ahold of everybody and take a look at how many people were involved. You take a look at how many people were involved in the group, and you take the group out, isolate them and see if they developed any symptoms," said Dr. Darin Harnisch, Resurrection Medical Center.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
local, jason knowles
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies 16 min ago
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall