Kidney donation makes friends into sisters
March 27, 2013 (TINLEY PARK, Ill.) -- They sing together in a suburban church choir. Now they're living their lives in perfect harmony, thanks to a medical match.
Forty-five-year-old Tonya Moore and 39-year-old Rosa Covarrubias now consider themselves sisters after Covarrubias decided to donate one of her kidneys to Moore.
Lupus attacked Moore's kidneys when she was in her 20s. And, in her 40s, she quickly declined and was on dialysis three times a week. They underwent the transplant surgery in December and Moore immediately felt better.
Both women are longtime members of Family Harvest Church in Tinley Park, where they sing in the church choir.
When Covarrubias saw that her friend's health was failing, she offered to help.
When Covarrubias found out she was a perfect match, she discussed her decision with her two teenage children. She says at first she was terrified.
Moore now has a new lease on life, thanks to her friend who gave her the gift of life.
The two religious members of the Family Harvest Church in Tinley Park look forward to attending the church and singing in the choir -- but most of all to being bonded to each other forever.
Moore and Covarrubias are very religious and they say it is their faith that brought them together and through a difficult period.
Covarrubias says she does not miss her kidney and Moore says she has never felt better.
Covarrubias is planning her 40th birthday party in May and Moore, her new sister, will be at the party dancing all night. Both want people to think about being donors and saving a life.
local, theresa gutierrez
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster 5 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
5 min ago