Potholes popping up on Chicago streets
March 27, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- ''They're all over. You can't avoid them. [Potholes are] ruining the car,'' Chicago driver Zach Burke said.
From high traffic areas downtown to Chicago's neighborhood streets, potholes are popping up all over the city. In one stretch of Kenmore in Lakeview, even residents are avoiding driving on their block.
"If you have a pace to park it then you have an alley to get in and out of...CUT TO....but when i have friends or need to drop off things the front of the house, it's pretty ugly. I go slow," Brian Giloman, Lakeview resident, said.
A perpetual trouble spot, the Western Avenue bridge near Belmont gets worse and worse as the cold temperatures wears on.
"Potholes on Western, especially here, are horrible. Like awful. My boyfriend won't take this street just to avoid them," Amy Hughes said.
"I got a flat tire probably a month ago because of a pothole. They're horrible," Jennifer Lee said.
CDOT crews are struggling to keep up. A spokesperson says 29 crews are out on a daily basis filling an average of 6,000 potholes. By the end of this month, they expect to fill 100,000 potholes. That number's way up compared to this time last year.
"I'm a motorcycle rider and we always seem to hit potholes, bikes falling, people crashing. They really need to fix the potholes," Prima Rios said.
local, michelle gallardo
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Bill Bratton tapped to return as NYPD commisioner 56 min ago
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- Metro-North derailment victim Jim Lovell to be laid to rest
- Freeze takes an icy grip on much of the nation 26 min ago
- Springsteen 'Born to Run' draft sells for $197K 46 min ago
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Bill Bratton tapped to return as NYPD...
56 min ago