Margaret Thatcher: 7 memorable quotes
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher - who died Monday from a stroke at age 87 - retired from public engagements in 2002 following a series of small strokes, and was only occasionally seen in public since then.
Here are 7 memorable quotes from her public life:
1) "If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman." - May 20, 1965, speech to National Union of Townswomen's Guilds Conference.
2) "There are dangers in consensus: It could be an attempt to satisfy people holding no particular views about anything. ... No great party can survive except on the basis of firm beliefs about what it wants to do." - Oct. 10, 1968, at the Conservative Party conference.
3) "Ladies and gentlemen, I stand before you tonight in my red chiffon evening gown, my face softly made up, my fair hair gently waved ... the Iron Lady of the Western World. Me? A Cold War warrior? Well, yes - if that is how they wish to interpret my defense of values of freedoms fundamental to our way of life." - Jan. 31, 1976.
4) "We fought to show that aggression does not pay and that the robber cannot be allowed to get away with his swag. We fought with the support of so many throughout the world. ... Yet we also fought alone." - July 3, 1982, on the Falkland Islands war.
5) "We can do business together." - Dec. 17, 1984, speaking of the Soviet Union leader Mikhail Gorbachev.
6) "If you just set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything at any time and you would achieve nothing." - May 3, 1989, commenting on her 10th anniversary as prime minister.
7) "I am not immortal, but I've got a lot left in me yet." - Sept. 9, 1990.
famous deaths, local news
- Off-duty officer stabbed in neck in Brooklyn 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx 17 min ago
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Nativity theft being investagated as hate crime
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300
- Photos: Staten Island quintuplets through the years
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos