Jackie Robinson: 7 memorable quotes
NEW YORK (WABC) -- Tuesday is the 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier. A new movie titled "42" focuses on the Hall of Famer.
Below are 7 quotes from Jackie Robinson made over the years:
"Baseball is like a poker game. Nobody wants to quit when he's losing; nobody wants you to quit when you're ahead."
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."
"I'm not concerned with your liking or disliking me... all I ask is that you respect me as a human being."
"It kills me to lose. If I'm a troublemaker, and I don't think that my temper makes me one, then it's because I can't stand losing. That's the way I am about winning, all I ever wanted to do was finish first."
"Life is not a spectator sport. If you're going to spend your whole life in the grandstand just watching what goes on, in my opinion you're wasting your life."
"There's not an American in this country free until every one of us is free."
"But as I write these words now I cannot stand and sing the National Anthem. I have learned that I remain a black in a white world."
"Above anything else, I hate to lose."
jackie robinson, brooklyn dodgers, brooklyn news, ebbets field, local news
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler 54 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 31 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists protest outside Liam Neeson's home
- Another delayed GM recall detailed by new documents
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
54 min ago