Mother held without bond in Maywood child's disappearance; $750K bail for boyfriend also charged
April 20, 2013 (MAYWOOD, Ill.) -- Prosecutors say a Maywood woman beat her son to death because he was crying and whining, then claimed he was abducted.
Lakesha Baker and her boyfriend Michael Scott are charged with first-degree murder in the death of 1-year-old Bryeon Hunter.
The boy was reported missing on Tuesday. Baker claimed three men attacked her and took off with the child. But prosecutors say Baker and Scott beat the boy then dumped his body. It has not been found.
"There's no reason to do anything to any child," said Maywood Police Chief Tim Curry. "They're innocent, they're helpless. But it's even more egregious that you can find it within yourself to hurt your own."
Saturday a judge ordered Baker held without bond and set bail at $750,000 for her boyfriend. Baker's lawyer says he's certain she'll be found not guilty.
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 49 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports 20 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane 22 min ago
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice 53 min ago
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew...
20 min ago