Des Plaines roads still impassable, river remains above flood stage
April 23, 2013 (DES PLAINES, Ill.) -- Major flooding in Des Plaines continues to plague city residents nearly a week after the rain first began falling.
The National Weather Service reported at 2:45 p.m. Tuesday that the Des Plaines River is at flood stage 8.78 feet, after the river crested at a record 10.92 feet on Friday. Des Plaines Police are advising motorists to seek alternate routes when traveling through the city due to many major arterials that remain closed. Accessible north/south routes include:
- Mt. Prospect Road
- Elmhurst Road
- Wolf Road
- Lee Street/Higgins Road
- Miner/Northwest Highway
- Touhy Avenue
- Devon Avenue
- Oakton Street
- Rand Road
- Big Bend Drive
- Golf Road between River Road and East River Road
- Lee Street between River Road and Elk Boulevard
- River Road between Rand Road and Elk Boulevard
- River Road between Miner Street & Touhy Avenue
- Central Road between East River Road & River Road
- Algonquin Road between River Road & Lee Street
- Busse Highway at Miner Street to Mason Lane
- Northbound River Road at Central Road
Oakton Community College will be closed on Tuesday, April 23 and Wednesday April 24, 2013. North School is closed Tuesday, April 23, 2013.
Des Plaines residents are advised to turn to cable channel #17 and the city's website, www.desplaines.org, for more information as it becomes available. Flooding information and non-emergency calls may be directed to the Des Plaines Emergency Management Agency (EMA) at 847-391-5396.
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination 59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 42 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed 54 min ago
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery 57 min ago
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Hospital warns of possible blood...
59 min ago
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick...
57 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
42 min ago
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and...
54 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos