70 mph speed limit could hit Illinois highways
April 24, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- The state senate has approved new legislation increasing the speed limit on interstate highways and tollways to 70 miles per hour.
More than 30 states allow drivers to go between 70 and 75 miles per hour. According to state senator Jim Oberweis, the higher speed will help commerce move faster.
The bill is currently in the house.
If signed, the increase will take effect January 1.
- 4 people shot in Brooklyn 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- ESPN: Phil Jackson signs with Knicks
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- Workers remove rubble in East Harlem
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing