CBOE trading outage due to internal errors, not hackers
April 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- Traders were unable to process transactions at the Chicago Board Options Exchange this morning from the 9:30 a.m. open to just before noon due to "an internal systems issue," not hackers.
CBOE issued a statement explaining the outage that said: "The malfunction that impacted CBOE was an internal systems issue and not the result of any outside influence."
"Not being able to hedge a portfolio for a regular trader, for a big firm that is looking to use these options as a hedge is difficult," said Todd Horwitz of AverageJoeOptions.com. "They are going to have to figure out another way, maybe use futures at the mercantile or another way to hedge their overall position."
The CBOE has the exclusive right to sell options -- or the right to buy shares at specific prices in the future -- for two indices important to professional traders. These indices are the volatility or VIX index, and the S&P 500 basket of top shares.
Traders were left surfing the internet while the exchange tried to fix its computers. Twice, just after 10 a.m., the exchange said everything was working but traders walking out confirmed business had not resumed - and opportunities were being lost.
"Based on market movement, it could be in the billions of dollars potentially," said Horwitz.
local, ravi baichwal
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 14 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze being laid to rest 36 min ago
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay 38 min ago
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze...
36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
14 min ago
- Russians, Crimeans discuss referendum on...
18 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos