James Ealy murder trial begins in woman's 2006 Burger King death
May 21, 2013 (WAUKEGAN, Ill.) -- Opening statements have begun in the murder trial of James Ealy, the man accused of strangling Mary Hutchison during a 2006 robbery at a Lindenhurst Burger King.
"There is a name for what this defendant did and it's called first-degree murder," said Jeffrey Pavletic, assistant state's attorney.
It's taken more than six years for this case to come to trial. Ealy,48, is charged with the murder of Hutchinson, a Burger King manager, on November 27, 2006, at the restaurant chain's Lindenhurst franchise.
"You will receive no meaningful evidence that connects James to the crime," said Keith Grant, Lake County public defender.
During today's opening statements, prosecutors and defense attorneys laid out their case.
Pavletic says Ealy, a former Burger King employee, went to the restaurant the day of the murder intending to rob it. In the process, he stabbed Mary Hutchison with a flat head screwdriver, then choked her with the bowtie she wore as part of her uniform.
"She had been stabbed in the back as if she had been poked, 'Open the safe! Open it!'" said Pavletic.
Miles Ten Eyck was the first EMT on the scene.
"She was lying on her stomach, head to the side, some blood pooled by her neck," said Ten Eyck.
Even though it's the first time cameras have been allowed inside a Lake County courtroom, ABC7 Chicago was not allowed to videotape seven out of the eleven witnesses who testified today, among them Hutchison's husband, who struggled to keep composure on the stand.
local, michelle gallardo
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix 23 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ 43 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide 41 min ago
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- MTA announces new safety measures after Metro-North derailment 16 min ago
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
23 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos