Schaumburg couple survive Oklahoma tornado
May 21, 2013 (MOORE, Oklahoma) -- Schaumburg Village Trustee Frank Kozak and his wife, Char, are recovering after they were injured in the Oklahoma tornado.
The Kozaks were in Oklahoma visiting family. Their son, Steve, drove to Moore Monday night to be with his parents. He said they ducked into a closet as the storm moved closer and the winds grew stronger. The roof of the house blew off and then an exterior wall fell on them.
"As you can see, as far as you can see, absolutely nothing," said Steve Kozak.
Steve Kozak came to see for himself the home where his parents came very close to losing their lives.
"Where my parents ended up was right here. They were in the closet and that hot water heater landed on them, in addition to all those bricks," said Steve Kozak.
On Tuesday night, the Kozak's are together. Hospitalized and hurting, but thankful to be alive.
"I grabbed on to my wife. I said 'get down on the floor.' Next thing I know, the roof blew off. We got hit by a water heater that landed on top of us. A wall caved in on top of us. I guess that's what saved us," said Frank Kozak.
The Kozak's credit the weight of water heater and all those bricks with holding them down and protecting them from the 200 m.p.h. winds that shredded everything around them.
"I just thank God we're alive. It's an experience I wouldn't want anyone else to have to go through," said Frank Kozak.
Frank has cuts and bruises. His wife Char underwent surgery today to clean and repair deep lacerations all over her body. Still, the Schaumburg family's thoughts are with others who endured far worse.
"I feel sorry for those that lost, I'm happy for those that made in through it. I feel sorry for the state that to go through something like this," said Frank Kozak.
No one else in the family was injured.
local, ben bradley
- School bus overturns in Brooklyn; 5 hurt 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman 17 min ago
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway 36 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues 14 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video 45 min ago
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store 18 min ago
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident 12 min ago
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
36 min ago
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
45 min ago