Identity of man found dead in Fayetteville released
FAYETTEVILLE -- Detectives are confirming the identity of a man found dead Wednesday in Fayetteville.
Police say that the man murdered in a home off Ruby Road in Fayetteville is 36-year-old Arturo Omar Walker of Lexington.
Walker appears to have several Fayetteville ties. He may have attended high school here.
He recently got out of prison after serving more than 20 years for second-degree murder.
However, there's a lot we don't know.
The man police say opened fire on them Wednesday morning on Ruby Road is a 24-year-old Solomon Butler, who lived in that home, where Walker's body was found by Butler's sister.
An hour into that homicide investigation, witnesses and police say Butler opened fire on police in a crowded neighborhood street.
Butler was gunned down by an officer working the perimeter of the crime scene, and remains in critical condition at Cape Fear Valley Medical Center.
His survival will be key to more information in this case, as well as charges. Police believe he is connected to Walker's murder.
We do not know the connection between the two men.
Friends of the slain walker say family is now meeting with police.
cumberland county, local/state, nicole carr
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- AccuWeather: Much Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 4 min ago
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Malaysia asks countries for radar data to help find jet
- Here and Now
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos