Woman charged in beating death of 8-year-old granddaughter
July 14, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- The grandmother of the 8-year-old child found beaten to death Friday inside a West Side apartment has been charged with the child's death.
Helen Ford, 51, is being held without bond.
Investigators say she was taking care of Gizzell Ford Friday when paramedics found the girl dead, her body covered with blunt force injuries and cuts.
The child's father was also home but investigators say he is bed-ridden and incapable of inflicting the kinds of injuries evident on the child's body.
"If somebody else would have saw what was going on they probably would told us, 'Hey you got to get this little girl out of here, they're beating her up.' Something, because I know we would have done something about it," said Ivan Celgado, the victim's uncle.
The Department of Child and Family Services says there were two other kids also in Helen Ford's care. They have been taken into protective custody.
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- 3 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 47 min ago
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- 3-year-old boy gets stuck in Nebraska claw machine 42 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos