Woman charged in beating death of 8-year-old granddaughter
July 14, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- The grandmother of the 8-year-old child found beaten to death Friday inside a West Side apartment has been charged with the child's death.
Helen Ford, 51, is being held without bond.
Investigators say she was taking care of Gizzell Ford Friday when paramedics found the girl dead, her body covered with blunt force injuries and cuts.
The child's father was also home but investigators say he is bed-ridden and incapable of inflicting the kinds of injuries evident on the child's body.
"If somebody else would have saw what was going on they probably would told us, 'Hey you got to get this little girl out of here, they're beating her up.' Something, because I know we would have done something about it," said Ivan Celgado, the victim's uncle.
The Department of Child and Family Services says there were two other kids also in Helen Ford's care. They have been taken into protective custody.
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos