Church volunteer charged with sex offense with child
RALEIGH -- A volunteer at "The Dream Center" in North Raleigh is accused of inappropriately touching a 12-year-old girl and is now in jail.
Raleigh police say 20-year-old Meredith Cromartie Jr. is facing two counts of indecent liberties with a child.
The incidents allegedly happened about a week and a half ago at the Dream Center, which is the Body of Christ Church's outreach facility for children, which is where Cromartie volunteered.
Erin Bailey is one of many parents who have used the center. She says she's always felt comfortable sending her kids to the facility without an adult.
"It's kind of scary. They have a daycare. There's also a school there," said Bailey. "There's a lot of children in and out of there and I'm sure parents are very shocked. They're going to be a little apprehensive to take their kids there."
The arrest report shows Cromartie worked security at a hookah lounge on Capital Boulevard. Management there told ABC11 that Cromartie was fired him Saturday night after several women complained of inappropriate behavior.
When Cromartie begged for a second chance, they gave it to him. However, 15 minutes later, police barged in and arrested him.
Cromartie's list of previous charges even includes impersonating a police officer.
wake county, sex offense, local/state, angelica alvarez
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation