Deadline extended for Rye Powerball winner to claim prize
RYE (WABC) -- The deadline has been extended for a lucky Powerball winner in Westchester County to claim his or her $1 million prize.
The winning ticket was sold on August 25 of last year at the Playland Market in Rye.
Winners usually have a year to claim the prize.
However, the New York Lottery extended the deadline for one week in case the person mailed in the winning ticket. As long as the ticket is postmarked by Aug. 25, it's valid.
The winning numbers are 1-6-7-20-49 with Powerball 23. The deli put a sign in its window with the lucky numbers, hoping to find the customer who bought the ticket last year.
If someone were to submit the winning ticket in person on Monday, lottery officials would consider honoring it because the deadline fell on Sunday.
A winner may also present their ticket at New York's seven lottery customer service centers.
If no one claims the prize, the money will be returned to the lottery pool.
The highest unclaimed jackpot in New York Lottery history - $68 million - came with a ticket sold in Brooklyn in 2002.
In the past four months, winners statewide have failed to claim nearly $28 million in drawing-game prizes before they expired. And last year, there were more than $65 million in expired winnings.
On $1 million in winnings, the take-home pay is about $600,000 after federal taxes.
Multi-State Lottery Association: http://www.powerball.com
lottery, powerball, local news
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn 27 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some 56 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown 1 min ago
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after...
1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
56 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos