7 Things to know about avoiding rental rip-offs
NEW YORK (WABC) -- 7 On Your Side has 7 tips for avoiding vacation rental rip-offs.
1. Talk to rental property owner over the phone, don't use solely email.
2. If possible, arrange to meet the owner at the property.
3. If you're not able to meet the owner at the property, get documented proof (i.e. utility bill) that proves he/she is the owner.
4. Ask for references from prior renters and/or check online reviews.
5. Do a Google search of the owner's name, his phone number, email address, and the property address. This could unearth complaints or other information about the rental property.
6. Before paying, get a copy of the rental agreement and read it thoroughly.
7. Try to pay using PayPal, credit card or check. Avoid paying by wire transfers.
vacation, scams, local news, nina pineda
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for missing Malaysian jet 36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for missing...
36 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos