7 Things to know about avoiding rental rip-offs
NEW YORK (WABC) -- 7 On Your Side has 7 tips for avoiding vacation rental rip-offs.
1. Talk to rental property owner over the phone, don't use solely email.
2. If possible, arrange to meet the owner at the property.
3. If you're not able to meet the owner at the property, get documented proof (i.e. utility bill) that proves he/she is the owner.
4. Ask for references from prior renters and/or check online reviews.
5. Do a Google search of the owner's name, his phone number, email address, and the property address. This could unearth complaints or other information about the rental property.
6. Before paying, get a copy of the rental agreement and read it thoroughly.
7. Try to pay using PayPal, credit card or check. Avoid paying by wire transfers.
vacation, scams, local news, nina pineda
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box 21 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act