7 Things to know about avoiding rental rip-offs
NEW YORK (WABC) -- 7 On Your Side has 7 tips for avoiding vacation rental rip-offs.
1. Talk to rental property owner over the phone, don't use solely email.
2. If possible, arrange to meet the owner at the property.
3. If you're not able to meet the owner at the property, get documented proof (i.e. utility bill) that proves he/she is the owner.
4. Ask for references from prior renters and/or check online reviews.
5. Do a Google search of the owner's name, his phone number, email address, and the property address. This could unearth complaints or other information about the rental property.
6. Before paying, get a copy of the rental agreement and read it thoroughly.
7. Try to pay using PayPal, credit card or check. Avoid paying by wire transfers.
vacation, scams, local news, nina pineda
- 9 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Rangel expected to announce run for 23rd term 11 min ago
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 40 min ago
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013