Evanston shooting near high school kills man, 21
September 11, 2013 (EVANSTON, Ill.) -- Evanston police say they are investigating the shooting death of a 21-year-old man one block away from Evanston Township High School.
Investigators found the man, Cardereon Preister, around 11 p.m. Tuesday in the 1700-block of Leland Avenue.
Evanston police say they are trying to locate witnesses and are looking at surveillance footage in the area.
Priester was shot once in the upper torso from behind just feet away from his grandparents' home.
According to police, Priester has a history of burglary and drug offenses and was known to associate with gang members.
Authorities say they shooting is in no way tied to Evanston Township; it just happened very close to the school.
One neighbor said she heard a single gunshot.
" It's something that we don't normally hear in the neighborhood. So, we just kind of didn't pay it any attention --thought maybe it wasn't that. Then, about 30 minutes later, we heard someone saying, 'Oh no.' So, I said, 'Well, something's going on outside. We got up, and we saw the police. They had the caution tape up," Tina Dillard said.
The last murder in Evanston happened in August. Authorities found two brothers dead in the basement of their Davis street tobacco shop. Police have not ruled out robbery on that case and no one is in custody in that double-murder.
In this case, Evanston police say they are hoping to receive tips from the public.
local, jessica d'onofrio
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick
- 'Fake' interpreter says he was hallucinating at Mandela event
- Baby it's cold outside!
- Newtown school shooting vigils planned for Thursday
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos